Urinary incontinence is where a person leaks urine by accident. Though urinary incontinence can happen to anyone at any age, it is more common to notice among elders. The urine is stored in the bladder and when the muscles in the bladder get tightened; the urine is passed into the urethra. The muscles in the urethra when relaxed; the urine is passed out of the body. But, incontinence occurs when the muscles around the urethra don’t relax and end up in an involuntary urine loss. Yes! The overactive bladder can cause urine leaks before reaching a restroom and is predominantly seen among women than in men.
Causes of urinary incontinence:
Many reasons can cause urinary incontinence. Yes! The vaginal infection, urinary tract infections, bladder problems, constipation, and intake of certain medications can cause urinary incontinence. But, if you are having long-term urinary incontinence then it might have caused due to any of the following reasons:
- Weak pelvic floor muscles
- Overactive bladder muscles
- Post-urologic surgery
- Nerve damage caused due to diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, or multiple sclerosis
- Pelvic organ prolapse
Male incontinence can be caused due to
- Enlarged prostate gland
- Nerve damage caused due to surgery
- Prostatitis caused due to painful inflammation of the prostate gland.
When to visit the doctor: Incontinence or loss of bladder control is an embarrassing thing. So, never feel shy, but seek medical advice if it affects your quality of life. Sometimes, urinary incontinence can be caused due to any underlying health condition; also, the probability of falls in older adults is high if incontinence is left untreated.
There are medicines to tighten bladder muscles or to empty the bladder fully during urination. So, if your doctor prescribes medicines, order it online from any reliable online drug store and get your medicines delivered at your doorstep.
Ways to deal with urinary incontinence among elders:
There are many treatments available in today’s modern health care system to treat urinary incontinence. But, the mode of treatment depends upon the type of bladder control problem you have and how severe it is. There are various types of urinary incontinence such as stress incontinence, overflow incontinence, urge incontinence, functional incontinence, and mixed incontinence. Here, we discuss a few ways to deal with urinary incontinence among elders. Just read through the article now:
- Keep your body weight under control. If you are overweight, the fat tissue may exert more pressure on the urinary bladder and cause urinary incontinence. So, regular exercise and a healthy weight can solve your problem to a greater extent.
- Hydrate your body with plain water and limit the intake of beverages which increases urine production.
- Cut down your smoking habits. If you are a chain smoker, the risk of developing a cough among them is higher. It directly affects your pelvic floor muscles and increases the chance of developing urinary incontinence.
- There are many urinary incontinence products available in the market to provide a comfortable and easily accessible such as diapers and non-reusable inner wears. Pick the one that suits your needs. You can buy products online from any trusted online medicine site at your convenience and avail amazing medicine discounts on every order you place.
- Eat more fiber rich foods to avoid constipation, this decreases the risk of urinary incontinence.
- Avoid acidic foods, bladder irritants, and alcohol to reduce the chance of developing urinary incontinence.
Urinary incontinence is highly treatable! Even though multiple options are available to lessen urinary incontinence, still timely diagnosis, the right treatment and proper medication can avoid accidental urine leakage. Don’t hesitate to take suggestions from your doctor as; immediate treatment will help you recover soon from the health issue and help to bring your daily activities on track.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating 4.9 / 5. Vote count: 419